Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Request

Dad,

I don’t doubt that some of the entitlement programs of the New Deal and the Great Society did more harm than good. I have not argued that government intervention is the answer to the problem of poverty. I do, however, believe that the government has a role to play. The Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the Voting Rights Act of 1965 were part of Johnson’s Great Society. Before the Civil Rights Act, a large portion of our population could not work even though they wanted to, because employers often discriminated based on skin color when hiring workers. This kind of discrimination was protected by law. After an amazing, non-violent grass-roots movement whose leaders were usually Christians, the federal government stepped in. In that case I would say government involvement did a lot of good.

You asked for some specific ideas of how systemic injustice contributes to poverty, and what I would do to change those systems. Here is one simple example from the health care issue. We have a group health insurance plan through Mark’s work. If I go to the doctor, the doctor may charge my insurance company $300. But the insurance company may only “allow” $200. Someone who has an hourly wage job that doesn’t provide health insurance and can’t afford to buy their own (insurance rates are higher for individual plans than group plans) would have to pay the doctor $300. An individual doesn’t have the power that a large insurance company does to simply decide how much they are going to pay for health care services.

I don’t know the best answer to this particular problem. Obama’s health reform proposal suggests a health care exchange where individuals can find affordable health insurance options, including a possible public option. I don’t know if that would work. But it’s the only idea I’ve heard to address the problem. If conservatives have better ideas, I’d love to hear them. Could you recommend some conservative sources that are offering constructive ideas on improving our health care system?

There is a lot more to say about systemic injustice, poverty and what our response as Christians ought to be. There are two books I’ve been thinking about reading about this topic, written by people much more knowledgeable than I. Would you be willing to read one of them with me? From what I know of these books, I think either of them would help me communicate some of what I've been trying to say with this blog. Even if you didn’t agree with anything in the books, at least you would understand me better. You said in an earlier post that all you had to go on to know about me is what you think I am like, until I do or say something to change that. I’ve been trying to do that (although unsuccessfully, I’m afraid), but these books may help.
I would also be happy to read something at your suggestion. If you would like to pick something, my only requests would be that you pick something written by a Christian and that has a good foundation in Scripture. There is wisdom to be gained from people outside the church, but Scripture is something you and I have in common. I think if we make that our starting point, we will have a better chance of really understanding each other.
Let me know what you think…

Mindy

No comments:

Post a Comment