Sunday, October 4, 2009

Repetition

Dear Mindy:
You are a teacher for sure! If your student doesn't answer the question the way you want, ask again. So here we go. Yes, I believe there are flaws in our economic, social and political systems that make it difficult if not impossible for poor people to get out of poverty, and I do think changing these systems is something Christians should be wrestling with. Why else would I be blogging with you these many weeks? Nevertheless, I may go in a different direction with the solutions than you might. In my view the more government gets involved in trying to solve a problem like the poor, the worse it becomes for the poor. The New Deal of Roosevelt, and the Great Society of Johnson did much to damage the plight of the poor and there is much data to support that. They were the greatest expansion of entitlement programs in our nations history, and B. Obama is about to top them all. As a recent past President has said, "the most feared sentence in the world is, 'Hello, I'm from the government, and I'm here to help you.' "

I would challenge you to get beyond the ideas of Social Justice and give me specific ways you believe our systems have "made it difficult if not impossible for poor people to get out of poverty." If we are to change the system, as you want to do, what would you change that would accomplish this?

Love,
Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment