Sunday, August 30, 2009

Health Care Debate Frustration

Friends and Family,

I read some interesting articles recently that I wanted to share. With all of the debate on healthcare reform, I have been very frustrated by what I'm hearing in the news--particularly through conservative Christian news sources.

The first article is an example of what i find so frustrating--it is from Christianity Today, a publication that I usually like quite a bit. The article itself seems to be somewhat balanced, but the headline is a perfect example of the kind of propoganda that seems to be flying about these days. If you take time to read the article, please also read some of the comments--many of them express my own frustration with the use of inflammatory and false language that seems to be included in every news story I've heard about the topic on Christian radio.

The second article is by Brian McLaren, and urges Christians to refrain from contributing to the fear-mongering and propaganda that is coming from both sides of the debate. The fact is (in my opinion), the health care system in this country does have some serious problems, and in order for anything to improve there needs to be honest, open dialogue. What I see happening seems to be politicized mud-slinging. The McClaren article is a bit long, but I would love to hear your thoughts on it if you get the chance to read it.

Mindy

P.S. When I went to link the CT article I found they had changed the headline and deleted the comments that had criticized it. The original headline was "Section 1233: Mandating Euthanasia?"

http://blog.sojo.net/2009/08/11/an-open-letter-to-conservative-christians-in-the-us-on-health-care/#disqus_thread

http://blog.christianitytoday.com/ctliveblog/archives/2009/08/section_1233_ma.html

1 comment:

  1. Commenting on the following statement:

    "You’ve made the point that the way to help the poor is not to take from the rich. So, since the Bible is full of commands for God’s people to make sure the poor are taken care of, how do we do that?"

    There are many faith-based organizations that provide aid for the poor. Giving to those groups that have the organization and expetise to minister is one way to meet the Biblical command.

    ReplyDelete